Monday 23 February 2015

Chocolate cake

This is perhaps one of the simplest chocolate cake recipes that I've ever made, one introduced into my family many years ago by my brother-in-law, Dennis. And if the idea was to win my sister over, her accomplished it with great aplomb. The cake is rich and moist and light, all at the same time.
Make a cup of instant coffee and mix it with half a cup of cocoa powder and allow to cool.
In a bowl, mix one and a half cups of sugar with one and three quarter cups of flour as well as three teaspoons of baking powder and a quarter teaspoon of salt. Make a hole in the middle and add four egg yolks (egg whites in a separate bowl to be beaten until stiff). Also add in a cup of oil, a teaspoon of vanilla essence and the coffee/cocoa mixture.
Using a spatula, mix everything together. Last, fold in the stiff egg whites. Grease a baking tin with detachable base with butter and add some flour to it, moving it around until the flour covers all the butter. Now pour the cake mixture into the baking tin and bake on a medium, pre-heated oven until an inserted knife comes out clean (about 25 minutes).
For the frosting, I use about 70g of soft butter which I beat with a cake mixture and then start adding icing sugar until the mixture becomes smooth and homogeneous. Food colouring or a few tablespoons of cocoa can also be added.
Follow me on Instagram: johncavernelis
Check out my Facebook page: Simple Foodies

No comments:

Post a Comment