Saturday 7 February 2015

Tomatoes

One of the most gratifying times of the year is when your garden starts to produce fruit or veggies and all your Spring toiling seems like a distant memory. And of all the things you can plant, tomatoes will bring you the greatest joy. They are easy to plant and maintain and tend to deliver a massive yield. The transition from buds, to small plants to green tomatoes until they eventually turn red, is awesome. Also, there are so many different varieties of tomatoes (black, yellow, green, cherry, pear, etc) that your garden will become a virtual salad bar.
But having all these wonderful tomatoes does create a small hassle: what do you do with it? You can eat tomatoes, give them to your friends and family, but there always seems to be some left over. Here's what I do:
Dice two or three large onions and fry in butter, accompanied by two cloves of crushed garlic, coarse salt and a teaspoon of coriander seeds. Cook until transparent and add your tomatoes that have been washed and diced. Also add about two to thee teaspoons of sugar to combat the acidity. Cook until the tomatoes break apart easily. You will notice that I haven't spent too much time on cutting the tomatoes into small and equal parts. The reason is that the final product will be frozen and used later, where I will cook it slightly and then use a hand-held blender to achieve a smooth sauce.
To freeze the tomato/onion mix, I like to recycle my plastic milk bottles. When I start using it, I simply cut the bottle and ice mixture on the inside all the way through, leaving the rest frozen.
Follow me on Instagram: johncavernelis
Check out my Facebook page: Simple Foodies

No comments:

Post a Comment