Sunday 26 April 2015

Boeber (arroz con leche)

With the onset of the colder weather, I decided to make a dessert that I haven't eaten in many years. And to be fair, it isn't something that was eaten at my childhood house with any regularity. The reason: boeber is a dessert / hot drink made by Capetonian Muslim people as part of their Ramadan celebrations (usually on the 15th day of the month-long fast) and then shared with neighbours. In my case, the Salie family introduced me to this Malaysian delight.
In Argentina, the closest equivalent is "arroz con leche" (rice with milk) but, needless to say, it isn't the same thing.

Melt 125ml of butter in a saucepan and add a cup to vermicelli (or thin pasta) to it, allowing it to go golden brown. Next add 8 cardamom seeds that have been bruised, 3 sticks of cinnamon and, optionally, 50g of sultanas. Stir into the butter mixture followed by 2 litres of milk. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Next, add in 75g of sage which has been soaked in 200ml of water for at least 15 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the mixture from sticking. Lastly, add in 150ml of sugar (more or less to taste) as well as 20ml of rose water and 50g of blanched almonds (optional). Serve warm.
Follow me on Instagram: johncavernelis
Check out my Facebook page: Simple Foodies

No comments:

Post a Comment