Sunday 25 January 2015

Pesto

So it turns out my garden has produced more basil than I could possibly use in salads and sauces. And to avoid it going bad, I've gone and made a pesto sauce for pasta. The nice thing about pesto is that it freezes really well and can be used at any time. Furthermore, I took some of the fresh basil, washed and dried it and placed the leaves in a Tupperware container - the leaves freeze well too. So, let's make pesto.
You will need a good amount (three to four handfuls) of fresh basil leaves, washed and dried. Place the leaves in a food processor (which will produce a smoother finished product) or, as I do, in a mortar and pestle (which will produce a more rustic product).  Add some course salt for its abrasive texture, a clove of garlic and a handful of lightly toasted pine nuts (which you can also substitute for almonds). Now pound away. The volume of the leaves will decrease as you pound them, allowing you to add more to your mortar and pestle.
When your leaves are thoroughly bruised and the nuts all but crushed, remove from the mortar and pestle and place in a small bowl. Add in some grated Parmesan cheese and stir. Now start adding olive oil until the point that everything comes together and your pesto is done.
Follow me on Instagram: johncavernelis
Check out my Facebook page: Simple Foodies

No comments:

Post a Comment