Monday 19 January 2015

Trifle

I should right at the start of this post clear something up: I very rarely eat dessert and therefore, by default, I very rarely prepare desserts. But this particular dessert is very dear to me as it reminds me of my childhood, and especially of Christmas.
You will need vanilla sponge cake (bought sponge cake is perfect for the task at hand) and this has to be cut up into small cubes (I suggest small so that you can reassemble them tightly in the bowl in which you will be preparing the dessert). Next, a can of peaches, pecan nuts, custard, some sweet alcoholic drink (optional) (Baileys, Amarula) or brandy/cognac.
Place the cubed sponge cake in the bottom of the bowl and slightly up the sides. Roughly cut some of the peaches so that it covers the first layer of sponge cake. Add drops of your alcoholic beverage of choice (or simply omit this step) and use some of the syrup from the peaches to moisten the cake. Now break up a hand full of nuts over the peaches and finally cover with custard.
Repeat this process until you reach the top of your bowl, always ending with a layer of sponge cake, that must be moistened with syrup. To complete the trifle, beat a pot of cream until stiff and cover the top of the bowl with it. Add fresh cherries around the edges and finally, just for decorative purposes, finely grate some dark chocolate over the trifle.
Refrigerate for at least half a day before serving, so that all the ingredients have time to settle down (and the cake can adsorb the moisture around it).
Follow me on Instagram: johncavernelis
Check out my Facebook page: Simple Foodies

No comments:

Post a Comment